Do you live in an area around wildlife where garbage bags are shredded into threads every night? If so, you need the best outdoor trash can to avoid this mess!
You will find tons of animal-proof trash bins to keep on the porch. Most of them are efficient enough to keep neighborhood strays and wild animals away from the garbage.
But how do you know which outdoor trash can is the best one for you?
Well, that’s why I have prepared this article so you can take better care of your trash cans. Let’s dive into that part now!
How do I disinfect my garbage can?
Unlike indoor ones, outdoor garbage cans don’t need to be disinfected quite regularly. But you need to disinfect them quite often to maintain a better hygiene standard.
Here is a routine that you can follow to disinfect your outdoor garbage can:
- Take your trash can closer to the water source or drain.
- Remove every piece of trash from it.
- Pour hot and soapy water into the container, let it soak for a while
- Empty the can and give it a good scrub
- Rinse it with cold water
How to get rid of awful odors from the trash cans:
- Clean your trash cans once in a while, following the method given above.
- Wash your bins after getting them back with soapy water and let it air dry
- Put newspaper on the bottom of your bin to absorb the garbage liquids.
Additionally, you can use a generous amount of baking soda to get rid of awful smells. You can also wash it with bleach once in a while. And don’t forget to use an environment-friendly cleaner to do this job.
What is the right size of an outdoor trash can?
Outdoor garbage cans come in different sizes, and you have to choose the one that suits you the best. They are available in sizes such as 25, 35, 60, and 90 gallons.
However, the standard size of an outdoor bin is 25-35 gallons. But the best outdoor garbage can size may vary from person to person.
To make the best purchase, you can consider the factors I am listing below.
- Your needs
- The position of your outdoor trash can
- What size do you need?
- Family size
Moreover, if you want to get a good-looking trash can, you can get one. But don’t ignore the efficiency as it should be your top-most priority.
How do I keep bugs out of my trash cans?
Bugs are always looking to establish a colony and garbage cans are one of their favorite spots. Here are some measures that you can take to keep bugs out of your trash cans.
- Always keep it clean.
- Pack your food waste in a double-bag and tie it well
- Squeeze the air out from your garbage bags
- Keep the lid sealed
- Disinfect your trash cans regularly
- Wash it with hot water and give your trash can a good scrub.
- Keep your bins out of the direct sunlight to slow down the decomposition process of the wastes.
You can also use mothballs or disinfectant sprays to get rid of the bugs. These measures mentioned above will help you to keep your surroundings clean.
To maintain a pristine environment, the best outdoor garbage can is a must-have. It will save you from the unwanted mess every morning and help you with better waste management. Now that you know how to buy the best one, go and start your shopping spree!
I am Pauline M Brewster. I am a professional blogger and content writer. I am the founder of BestTrashCanAdvice.com. I write trash can reviews on my blog.